Why Elect Kevin?

This site contains information about why Kevin Rudden is running for the Mendon-Upton Regional School District Committee
in the May 15, 2012 election in Mendon.

Saturday, April 14, 2012

I Am NOT Anti-Education

Just because I've criticized the School Committee for coming back for more over-rides after Mendon has already said "no" does not mean I am anti-education.

I've been involved in Mendon's town government for 28 years, and the very first committee I served on was the Superintendent's (Dr. Crisafulli) Computer Task Force. Back then, we were looking at how to bring and use those "new things" known as personal computers into the school system.

In today's global economy, a quality education is essential for our community's children to achieve the careers that will be thriving during the next decades. Quite frankly, the jobs of yesterday and today may not be there and we need to prepare our children for that.  Think of how much has changed in the world of computers since 1984!

But, I believe strongly that a public school education means one that is funded as the public (that's us) decides it should be. There are options available for folks who want -- and can pay for -- more.

And, as part of government, the School Committee should not try to force a town to decide between its municipal services or giving more money to education when funds are limited.

I've had strong relationships with teachers during my own years in elementary school, high school and college -- people who have had a profound impact on my life and my career. I originally planned to become a teacher, but the job market didn't support that goal when I graduated from college.

I have a nephew and a niece who are teachers. Another nephew's fiance is a teacher. One of my sisters has served as a trustee at several colleges and just stepped down from the position of Chief of College and Career Preparation for the Chicago public school system. We have frequent, lively family discussions about what is right and what is wrong with education in America!

One of the things that came out of one of those discussions (Easter dinner of 2011) is that -- while throwing rocks may make people feel good -- it accomplishes nothing besides giving you a sore arm.  Why not use the rocks to build something of value?

In other words, why not use your energy to accomplish something positive?

After all, I've spent the past 14 years helping to teach Scouts -- our community's young men -- how to be leaders. Now, I'd like to help the rest of our children -- as the Boy Scouts say -- be "Prepared.For Life."

No comments:

Post a Comment