Why Elect Kevin?

This site contains information about why Kevin Rudden is running for the Mendon-Upton Regional School District Committee
in the May 15, 2012 election in Mendon.

Saturday, April 14, 2012

Kevin Rudden Running for Mendon-Upton School Committee

March 26, 2012 – Kevin Rudden of 9A George Street, Mendon, today announced that he is a candidate for the Mendon-Upton Regional School District Committee.

Rudden, 58, has served the Town of Mendon in numerous elected and appointed positions during the past 28 years, and currently serves on the Mendon Council on Aging’s Transportation Advisory Committee and as the town’s Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Coordinator.  In addition, he is Finance Committee Chairman for Community Partners for Health, the state Department of Public Health’s designated Community Health Network Area (CHNA) for the13 communities primarily served by the Milford Regional Medical Center.

“I’m running because I am a strong supporter of education as well as a fiscal conservative, and – as a disabled person living on a fixed income – I understand that we need to balance every parent’s desire to give their children the best education possible with the financial realities of our local, state and federal government funding possibilities,” Rudden said.

“Over the years, I’ve been a vocal critic of previous school administration’s financial policies, and I’ve realized that criticism isn’t enough to change things.  If you don’t step forward and become part of ‘the solution,’ then you are really just part of ‘the problem,’” the candidate said.
“I’m also approaching our local education from a different perspective than someone with children in the Mendon-Upton School system.  I have two sons who went through the system from kindergarten through high school and are now in college.  This gives me a perspective on how well the local school system prepared them for college and for their careers afterward.  My third son attended the Mendon-Upton system from kindergarten through eighth grade, and is now a junior at Blackstone Valley Regional Vocational Technical High School. This gives me a perspective on how our Mendon-Upton system compares to another local school system,” the candidate added.

“Finally, am running because I appreciate the impact that certain individual teachers have had on my children’s lives, and I want to make sure that these types of positive relationships continue.  In particular, former teachers Amy Hughes and Henry Morel had deep and lasting impacts, respectively, on my son, Michael, and my son, Timothy,” Rudden said. “I’d like to help to continue to foster an atmosphere in which middle and high school students, in particular, are positively mentored.”

The candidate recently helped Superintendent Joseph Marusczak apply for one grant (albeit unsuccessfully) for a “best practices” study of the Mendon-Upton system and also helped him explore the possibility of applying for another in the area of substance abuse and bullying prevention. “I look forward to helping the superintendent apply for as many grants as possible, whether or not I am elected,” Rudden said.

No comments:

Post a Comment